Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cross road

What are you thinking when you reach a cross road? Each one will take you to a completely different destination…
It is very simple when you have a clear direction where to go to…but
What if you are not sure? Just like life…the jungle of uncertainty…

I thought it was an easy decision. I was offered a position in an industry that comes first in my industry preference list. It was followed with a substantial raise as well to my paycheck. It promises a “bullet speed” future career prospect, friendly information from an old friend of mine who has left the company after a handsome leave package following a merger a few years back.The funny thing is my company just has the same merger experience not a while ago…
Yeaah…there is also some setback such as a ridiculous bureaucracy culture, another friendly information as well, different role and job description, bigger organization, and new colleagues and boss to deal with etc…

Actually, I have made a firm decision to move out by signing the offering letter about a month ago. My plan is to finish my project in Japan since a couple months ago and move in to the new Company next month. Business trip to Japan is more like a personal obligation to my old boss, as I see him more like a respected friend than a boss, who happened being assigned to Japan early this year. It is my plan to bring the news just a few days before the minimum notice period; because I anticipate that the company will not let me go easily.
I brought the news first to my boss in Japan, who throws the question “What if the company matches the offer?”
Then the next day, my regional boss in Singapore called, saying “This is only a one minute conversation, I want you to take back your resignation letter!”
Wow, rude…if I may say. But, I stay calm saying “a lot of considerations have been made before making this decision”. He still does not make it easier for me, following his words…
“I want you to call me back on Monday with what I want to still stay with the Company.”
I said to my self “What the heck, it will not kill you spending some thought on this” and replied “Ok, I will call you back on Monday.”
I always said to both of them that it is more on the pull factor than push factor, though I am not very honest on that. Indeed there is a small push factor but I just don’t want to share it.

I tried to make some discussion with friends of mine. One came up with a statement saying that “You are only assuming and should to give the company a chance. The new Company maybe is not as you think they are”
Is it? Am I assuming?
Maybe, but the assumption was made based on variables that really occurred.
Uncertainties in the new Company?
Indeed, but where do you find any certainties in this world? Beside, this is not the first experience for me, been done this before.
Another one coming with “Your main interest in the first place with the current Company is overseas assignment, rite? You are very close to it. Just ask the best scenario that you could think of.”
Indeed, I heard that the Company is cooking something for my overseas assignment. But, it is not something new, it is already since early this year.
Damn…It is so close yet it is so far. I have to live with that. My current personal situation is not really in favor of taking any long term overseas assignment.
So it leaves me only with the option of the Company to beat the offer. But, I prefer proactive than reactive action from the Company. Beside, I could not help dragging my self with that burden, if the Company agrees with my condition. The Company should see it as I deserve it but not by asking.
The last one is actually come up with the strongest effect. This one was my colleague in my current Company. Yes, he was my colleague until last week being forced to tender his resignation. When I heard the news, I said “What?” and can’t get this out of my mind all day.
I know him very well professionally as well as personally. He was rated “Highly talented people” for the past 3 years and I know he made no wrongdoing. The official reason is “Doesn’t fit with the Company anymore.”
Wow, I got that rating also but look like it is not enough from the Company point of view. What is the point of such performance review, then?

So, here I am, reaching a crossroad. There is no map in this kind of intersection that tells you where to go. But, at least I am confident to take one direction and no look back!Attaboy…, just pick up the phone on Monday and make the call.

5 comments:

Socrates Rudy Sirait, PhD said...

What you need to do is to start it with the word of God.

All the best with your new career.

Andy Laver Sirait said...

true..all the answer is already provided in the Book..just don't rely on your own strength and past experiences to understand it. Humbly ask the Holy Spirit to give you guidance and you shall find the answer.

Have a blessing Monday and great career ahead :-)

Anonymous said...

Ask only for the Graces unknown to you that HE knows you need. As with all unsolicited advice, it's very easy to give; the difficulty is a Gordian knot (paradox rife with self-reference). How will you judge advice? A career on Wall St. taught me "to do" is the wiser of "thinking about doing". Don't fear the mistakes, they are inevitable; the big mistake is failure to act because of the fear of making a mistake. Best, Colin at Chronic Pain Lifestyle.

Jeanne Dininni said...

Best of luck to you in making your decision.

Regards,
Jeanne Dininni
www.WritersNotes.Net

Ms J said...

good luck.trust your instincts. i have been at many crossroads too, both career and professional - not all were wise moves but what will hold you up is your perseverance and the will to pick up the pieces.

keeping fingers crossed for positive outcome for you